From 1880 to 1930, glass manufacturing boomed along with the City of Cumberland. Warren Glass Works Company, founded 1880, was one of the first to be established. Around 1920, well over 1,000 people were employed in the glass factories and decorating shops.
The end came with the onset of the Great Depression combined with the destruction of seven factories by fire.
The museum has several exhibit rooms of beautiful glassware and tools used in the old days of glass making made in Cumberland from the early 1900’s until the early 60’s.
The museum display features the Maryland, Potomac, and Utility Glass Companies.
Cumberland Glass Manufacturers:
1884-1905: Cumberland Glass Works (1884–1905), National Glass Company (1889–1905), Wellington Glass (1908–1920)
(1880–1889), South Cumberland Glass (1889–1890), Queen City Glass (1890–1909), Eastern Glass (1909–1913),
1893-1930: Maryland Glass Etching Company
1895-1896: Enterprise Glass Decorating
1904-1924: Potomac Glass
1911-1912: Cumberland Glass Tube Company
1918-1935: Maryland Glass
1936-1938: Maryland Glass Inc., formerly Maryland Glass
1938-1941: NU Glass
1923-1926: C. A. Borchert
1926-1926: Queen City Glass
1927-1928: Braddock Glass – LaVale, Maryland
1927-1928: Zihlman Glass
1928-1929: Independent Glass – LaVale, Maryland
1930-1932: Sloan Glass
1931-1933: Eichner Cut Glass
1932-1956: Cumberland Glass – LaVale, Maryland
1956-1961: Cumberland Glass – Mount Savage, Maryland
1932-1987: Queen Glass – LaVale, Maryland
1935-1961: Kortwright, Nehring, Weaver Inc
1935-1956: Sloan Glass
1956-1968: Sloan Glass – Green Spring, West Virginia
1953-1972: Oglebay Glass
1954-1992 PPG Cumberland Works No. 7 – Constructed in 1953 by the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company, the Works No. 7 Plant manufactured plate glass in Cumberland from 1953 to 1981. In 1981, the No. 7 manufacturing facility was shut down and used as a research and development facility until 1992.
1956-1968: Knoche Cut Glass
<Images with thanks to Al Feldstein and .Dave Kennedy>